Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Digital Edge Project

The Apple Learning Interchange websiste, or iTunes U, is a collection of podcasts that contain lectures or presentations on a number of different academic subjects. Writing, science, music, world geography, cultural studies, and study tips, are just a few examples of the different subjects that are included on the website. These lectures, lessons, and presentations have been put together by many different academic and educational sources such as Stanford, Yale, MIT, Oxford, Berkley, and many others. The goal of the site is to enhance educational opportunities and practices for both teachers and learners around the world through free digital communication between academic resources and the public.

Reflection:
I watched and listened to three of the resources listed on iTunes U: Quest Science and Nature, Roys Writing Tools, and Three Countries You Ought to Know About. I would have to say I was pretty impressed with the Quest videos, particularly because there were so many different science subjects to choose from and the videos were pretty extensive in their explanation of the subject. I could see how this would be a great educational tool in any science classroom or for anyone who's interested in learning more about any of the subjects. I was tempted to watch them all day actually. The presentations in Three Countries You Ought to Know About were educational in their review of different countries geography, environments, and cultures, but I thought the reviews of the countries were a little too brief. These presentations could still serve to supplement a world studies classroom though, and I myself found the information in the videos interesting. Roys Writing Tools is a compilation of audio tracks of lectures on effective uses of writing. I think that the information in these lectures is useful, however the presentation format seemed a little bland. I also think that writing is a subject that is usually taught better using direct instruction. Expecting students to learn correct writing conventions from a audio recording might be a little much, writing lessons require more active participation on the part of the students in my opinion. Overall I think that the quality of the podcasts varies quite a bit, some serve as better educational tools than others, but all of them could be quite useful for teachers of any subject. I liked this resource a lot.

2 comments:

  1. After seeing this project started in 2002, they gave it a 3-year timeline, and it's 2010 now, I was actually pretty disapointed that this was the best they could do. On one hand, it's great that they put together a website that links all of the podcasts and videos to get ideas from. On the other, I think it falls very short of what the article said that the Digital Edge Project set out to do. I really wanted to see a "look into the artist's studio" kind of thing, where you would see the teacher teaching this. Instead there's a quick video of a guy talking briefly about 3 countries. Just not really what I was hoping to see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think is important that you mentioned that the quality of the podcasts varies greatly. Some may see the "podcasts" or Apple label and assume everything involved is golden. Overall, I wasn't very impressed with the quality of the podcasts.

    ReplyDelete